Share this story!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

OMFG - Audio Sex.

Etta James passed away last week and with that news we all remembered her most famous song, At Last. Beautiful, simple and lovely, it has always been one of my favorite classic love songs. But, in this modern world where synth beats prove sexier than violins, I think it's time for a little update. Here are a few of my favorite modern songs to set the mood to!

1. Time is Running Out - Muse
This song has the hottest intro, I think, ever. Low, sexy, and just a little bit menacing...in the sexiest way of course. While lead singer Matthew Bellamy made us all collectively groan when he ran off with Kate Hudson (ugh, like, really?), as long as they continue to make smooth songs like this, we'll forgive him. (And they have a baby now or whatever so we'll make an exception.) Despite its slightly disturbing lyrics, the song is aggressive in an amorous possessive way, rather than a serial killer way. Or at least that's how I see it. You will be the death of me can either be totally creepy or totally romantic...I'm going to go with the latter.
Even if Bellamy sang about murder, I'd still have this song on the list for the intro alone.
Listen to it here!

2. Lost Without You - Robin Thicke
Where Barry White is the deep, baritone voice of liquid sex from generations past, Robin Thicke's voice is pure ear sex for us today. Opposite to White in every way (soprano...and a lean, white dude) except that their songs all make for some seriously romantic moods. Quite simply a song about how much he loves and admires a woman, the fact that it was written for, and the video stars, his real-life wife Paula Patton makes me swoon. With just the right number of ooh's and aah's without being cheesy and a subtle guitar accompaniment, this one never gets old.
Listen to it here!

3. High for This - The Weekend
What did we all get down to before the Weekend? Toronto's very own underground superstar is the new standard of music for baby-making. Some times you have proper romance with dinner, drinks and manners. And some times you have 3 a.m. drug-fueled illicit entanglements you can only get away with in your twenties. You can guess which of the two scenarios this song is for. It literally beckons one to get high and make some sweet lovin'. Intense, shiver-inducing and smooth as silk, this is one for those nights out that end in the best way possible. And hey, if you and your lover are past the point of coherence, the lyrics are pretty much a step-by-step guide of what to do! Win.
Listen to it here!

4. Futuresex/Lovesounds - Justin Timberlake
Before JT went all mediocre actor on us, he made some pretty decent music. While Justified was loved mainly by aged teenyboppers, his sophomore album Futuresex/Lovesounds was kind of awesome. The title track is by far my favorite. Slickity slick slick is the only way to describe it. Sexy but not obscene lyrics, synthesized but not overdone and with a bass made to grind to, it's subtle, modern and suggestive. Every time I listen to it, it makes me hate Jessica Biel just a little bit more than I did 4:02 minutes ago. Sexyback can suck it, this is where sexy is at.
Listen to it here!

5. Bed - J. Holiday
Every sexy song list needs a good ole' RnB clincher. I had to stop myself from putting Ginuwine's Pony on here (Best. Grinding. Song. Ever.) and instead went the more romantic route with J. Holiday. Don't let his neck tattoo fool you...this song is sweet sensuousness at its best. Another soprano male voice (I think I'm seeing  trend here..), the lyrics are so loving they're almost precious. Seriously, I don't think there's an RnB song out there as endearingly worded as this one. Love is war, I'm your soldier is my favorite line from a song, ever. Irresistible.
Listen to it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment