Share this story!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

OMFG -- Winter Blues

I've become one of those people you cringe at when seated next to on public transportation. One of those sniffling, germ-infested, red-nosed, diseased carriers that makes you flinch every time they move a muscle. This slightly disgusting state of being can be attributed to my home and native land, Canada. Or, more specifically, Canada in the winter! For all you foreign readers out there, let me paint you a picture: Toronto transforms from a palette-rich, mildly weathered, lively and energetic city in the autumn to a white-washed, stark, bare landscape ridden with grimy gray buildings and crowds of heavily weighed-down citizens whom trudge through the streets like depressed zombies. Call it a post-apocalyptic urban scene -- I have to call it home for the next month or so.

With the onslaught of white stuff that continually covers the outside world come other unpleasant side effects: howling winds, temperatures of below minus 20 degrees Celsius, and skies that turn dark not too long after waking up. All of this combined makes for one depressing season. Torontonians are prone to the winter blues and, aside from work are also prone to hibernation. I've been in hibernation mode for the past little while myself, partially to avoid being ostracized on the subway and partially because going out in this weather becomes more of a mission than mayhem. When socializing entails a balancing act over ice on heels, freezing barely-covered panty-hosed legs and pricey cab rides to avoid frost-bite -- well it's no wonder even social butterflies like myself are choosing beds over bottles.

So just how are we chilly Canadians supposed to snap out of the winter blues? By moving our social lives home! Cozy gatherings at my friend's condos have been my staple lately and a nice change of pace from the usual thumping beats and scantily-clad scene I'm used to. Of course nights out are a must (after all, nothing warms up the body quite like a steady stream of vodka) but definitely less frequent during the season. While smallish shindigs don't scream "cool" like drunken fiascoes at a club, they're lovely in that you can have actual conversations without having to scream over music and delightfully low-key. My best friend recently hosted a board game night (with drinks, of course) with our close friends and it was the perfect way to spend a Saturday! We started off with appetizers and cocktails and relished in the entertainment of watching each other progressively get sloppier at the games as the night moved on. (Anyone who can coherently describe nouns in Taboo after four Bahama Mama's is my hero.) Actually, any PG activity from our pre-legal years is a good basis for a night in...throw in drinks and good friends and you've got yourself the perfect one-night getaway.

Our last board game night was a hit and I'm sure it'll happen again soon...in the mean time I'm still in hibernation mode. I'll probably venture out this weekend, so if any of you dear bloggees see some one dancing at a club in a Snuggie -- it's probably me.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment