Share this story!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

OMFG -- Team Romance


With the latest Twilight installment hitting theaters last weekend, hysteria over the story's leading men, Edward and Jacob (for those of you living under excessively heavy rocks that's Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner reprising their, um, challenging roles of Brooding and Abs, respectively) to yet another fever pitch.
Pretty as they are to look at, it's more than just the actors who have created the intense following the characters have...it's the good old throwback to chivalrous romance. Bella, (enchantingly played by the uber-emotive Kirsten Stewart -- note the obvious sarcasm), is pretty much waited on hand and foot by either Brooding or Abs in all the movies, saving her from this or that. It's ridiculous, it's anti-feminist, and it's certainly a little controlling and creepy at times the point to which both devote themselves to her but it most definitely is, at least in the old fashioned sentiment of the word, romantic.
These two are really ruining it for all you modern men out there. Maybe I'm just jaded but the last time my man did something truly romantic for me was...well I can't even remember! And now with my mind all Twilight-washed I've raised my standards: save me the jaws of bloodthirsty vampires or we're OVER! Melodrama aside, gentleman do seem to be a dying breed in our post-modern world where gender roles are more equal than ever and individual is the label that reigns over all else. But let's not get all overly reactive here: I'm not asking for a chastity belt and my right to vote to be taken away; I'm talking about some simple, caring gestures and a little consideration from the men in our lives. I'll bet Edward never let revolving doors slam in Bella's face while he walked a consistent couple feet ahead of her. Sadly, this is a true story...many times over.
With two more films slated for release over the next couple summers, I'm sure I'll be reminded, along with many other woman, of how lovely it would be to have two hot young things fight to save your life. Near death need not be the only way to show a little consideration...heck I'd be happy if a door never made contact with my face again.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment