Share this story!

Monday, July 19, 2010

OMFGaga!


I had the opportunity to do a promo job at the Lady Gaga concert when it rolled into town the other night, and after, got to watch the concert as well. It seems like everyone these days is gaga for Gaga, but honestly I felt like her whole shtick was just kind of....lame.
Calm down now people, no need to get out the haterade and come at me with pitchforks and torches. First, let me go on the record as saying that I love her music. I'm a sucker for pop music, always have been and always will be, and Gaga is nothing else if not glorified pop music. She has consistently churned out the catchiest of songs -- so catchy that you can sing along before the song is over after hearing it for the first time. Her pop appeal is undeniable, and yet for some reason she feels the need to convey herself and ridiculously edgy. Emphasis on the ridiculous part here; girlfriend could of strolled onto stage with an anvil plastered to her head and I still wouldn't have bee surprised.
Obviously the crazy outfits (she was in what can only be described as a giant mushroom-monster costume for one song) and overly abrasive persona make her stand out from the rest of the writhing, almost naked pop stars out there...or does it? I found that during the concert, I was reminded of many other concerts I had been too; Britney Spears (pre-crazy), Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, and so on. Sure, Gaga would start off in elaborate costumes, but by the end of most of her songs, she was naked and writhing on stage. Lame.
Watching her predictably gyrate with male dancers and belt out over-produced pop songs revealed to me that Gaga really isn't any different than all the others; and I was a little disappointed.
Gimicky lameness aside, I love Gaga's message of support towards the gay community and those who are outside the box in general. She definitely cultivates a connection with her little monsters and spoke to the crowd many times on a personal level. Some one who thrives on the her connection with those going against the norm should of gone a little more against it herself...in my opinion at least.
Overall, the show was interesting to see if for nothing else than to watch a woman attempt to dance provocatively around on stage while looking like a plant that grew in a radioactive zone.
Ga-ga-oh-la-la indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment