Share this story!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

OMFG -- Calling all gentlemen!

I hosted a one-off night at a club I've never been to and witnessed something I haven't in a long while -- a club fight. As messy, drunken, pig-headed physical brawl that started with two equally pig-headed alpha-males inside the club and, thanks to two burly bouncers removing their drunk asses from the premises, spewed out onto the streets. From what I saw, it was a little spat over egos that turned into a full-out body throw-down because both parties were highly inebriated. I think I speak for most well-to-do women out there when I say guys getting into bar fights over idiotic stupidities is quite possibly the most unattractive thing ever. Which brings me to the question that's been floating around in my head the entire cab ride home...where have all the gentlemen gone?

Sure, defending a woman's honor is perhaps the only mildly acceptable justification for a bar fight -- and even then, it's much sexier, to me at least, when a man can conquer a jerk with a few choice words instead of fists. Perhaps working in the nightlife industry, or doing most of my socializing in it, has dulled my impression of the male population since most of the guys I meet are, how shall I phrase this nicely....massive douchebags. There are the men who can't keep a conversation going at eye-level, the men who walk in front of me and let doors slam in my face, the men who buy drinks and expect the world from you because of it, and finally the men who seem gentlemanly at first, but then want recognition beyond belief because they did some minor gesture for you. Dude, you held my hand so I could climb past the crowd and into the booth -- I'm not going to get out any medals just yet. I guess gentlemen for show are a-plenty in the clubbing world since peacocking is what most are out to do (who's surrounded by the hottest girls, who can ball with the most bottles, who can behave the most gentlemanly and make sure everyone sees it...I could go on) but those that make sure us girls feel comfortable simply because they care are a dying breed.

Obviously we live in a modern world and woman are the equals of men in more ways than ever, but come on, would it kill anyone to recognize we're still exquisite creatures who deserve a little extra consideration every now and then? Honest to goodness I once had a boy I was dating literally run ahead of me in the snow because he was cold while I maneuvered dangerously over the icy sidewalks in nothing but heels and bare legs. Yes, really. That may be more of a reflection on my choice in men, but still, you get the point! The tailoring of a true man lies in his subtleties in my opinion, and actions like discreetly paying the dinner bill before it even comes to the table, covering the door charge without us even knowing there was one, and yes, simple gestures like guiding us through crowded spots without trying to feel us up go a hell of a long way. Sophisticated, patient, and classy are words I like associate with both my male and female friends...and any potential boyfriends I might add, and so far, my girlfriends are effortlessly winning. How many times have we as girls called other girls our "boyfriends" for the night, or joked about each other as "wifeys' and whatnot? Sure, part of it is because girlfriends tend to be really close, but it's also because we know our girlfriends will take care of us in a way most men just can seem to grasp.

So to all the men out there who have ladies in their lives they care about...a mom, girlfriend, crush, friend, whoever it may be, take a little time to go at her pace when need be. And, if you take but one thing away from this entire post let it be this: make sure you hold her damn hand when she's walking over icy sidewalks in heels and bare legs. That is all.
x

1 comment:

  1. interesting post... I don't want to boast or anything, but I consider myself a gentlemen... Through the eyes of a 26 year old male involved in the club industry as well, I can agree with you that the alpha-male does get preoccupied with the wrong perceptions, and therefore causes a thing I like to call "Dumb Energy". But I guess it's just a part of the male ego that must exist.

    There are Men who will behave like gentlemen at all times just because they have developed a moral standard for how to treat Women.

    There's the men who behave as gentlemen's up until he see's the cue that sets off the "I can be cocky funny with her and she sends it right back i like this " vibe (which by the way is a great vibe when it's perfectly in sync).

    and there is the men who just don't give a fuck. Ladies just have to learn how to spot the winners..

    I surround myself around like-minded gentlemen who all have respect for women and are delicate with their efforts at wooing them. Women are precious and if a man can see the gem's in her eyes, he will treat her like the queen or princess that she deserves to be treated as.

    Women just need to learn to accept the fact that at the end of the day it's all up to the woman who decides whether she wants attention from type a or type b...

    It's much more enjoyable to be a swagged out GQ cocky funny honest nice guy, rather than be a prick...

    all the best,

    Marcos Mendosa
    www.maccity.ca

    ReplyDelete