Share this story!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

OMFG -- La Roux!

I love music. I love how it adds atmosphere to any situation, how it always seems to understand whatever love gripe you're working through and how it can make you want to dance around in your underwear like there's no tomorrow. (Let it be known that the latter is how I like to start most my days..with the curtains closed, of course!) Whether it be bass-heavy club anthems, minimalist house, straight-up catchy pop or old school Sinatra, music for me has only one criteria: if it makes you feel good, it's good music.
My current musical obsession is with the English duo La Roux! [Elly Jackson and Ben Langmaid.] I kept on hearing their hugely popular single "Bulletproof" everywhere only to have it get stuck in my head whenever I had space between thoughts...so I gave in and bought the rest of the album and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was much more than mere catchiness! I guess they would be categorized as electro-pop, but that implies overly synthesized tracks and weak vocals -- the songs definitely have a smooth synth edge, but make no mistake Jackson's vocals are as clear and strong as any acoustic performance. Aside from her musical talents, Jackson, often the only one seen in videos and when they perform, has a unique style of her own. With what can only be described as androgynous-chic gone neon, Jackson conveys a genderless cool-kid persona with her boy-short yet gravity-defying coif, slick trousers and sneakers. The duo recently opened at the Viktor & Rolf fashion show cementing their status, or Jackson's at least, as recognized style mavens. True style and sick music? Now that's a girl after my own heart.
What allows me to relate so much to their songs though is the sheer amount of emotion conveyed through their lyrics. I absolutely adore how Jackson sings about decidedly very "girly" issues all the while presenting herself as extremely androgynous... the confidence she portrays in her lyrics present emotions as a necessity to be proud of, regardless of gender. La Roux is essentially taking the feminine edge off emotions and allowing them to come off as feelings that stand on their own that everyone inevitably experiences. I'm impressed.
A few of my favorite tracks are linked below:
Armour Love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAKmfO3v8ew
I'm Not Your Toy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew_c5ewoVQk&feature=fvw
Bulletproof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUsbpmQ9-mc
And for those of you who enjoy shaking your bum around as much as I do, there are several amazing DJ remixes of many of their songs! As long as La Roux keeps killing it, I'll be listening.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment